Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Tale of Two Plants

Tale of Two Plants.


Days 3 and 4 of picture a day for a year.

     In 2013 someone at Gail's work gave everyone a poinsettia for their office.  Naturally, she brought it home for the break.  If we thought about it at all, I both of us expected the plant  to die shortly after the holidays as every other poinsettia had in the past.  Well, it didn't and here it is 14 months later. It's looking a little peaked.  I think it might be root bound. But, maybe it is just worn out after producing five new blooms



     The second plant is a fig that I bought from the Fig Man at the farmer's market.  The poor thing had a rough first year.  I planted it according to the page long instructions, but it did not thrive.  In fact, we were pretty sure it was done for when by the middle of May it had not shown any sign of life.  While I was in Texas for Mother's Day, Gail yanked it out of the ground.  However, when she examined it, there was a tiny green sprout.  She wrapped it in wet paper towels and when I got home I planted it in a big pot and put it out on the patio where it would get lots of sun.  This autumn, I brought it in and put it in a western window.
As you can see, it's doing well.  

Despite the Fig Man's assurances that it would do well in the spot I described to him, I think it is now an indoor plant by winter and a patio plant in the summer.



   

No comments: